December 20, 2012

Hellooooo, Florida!

It's very easy to lose track of time in Florida. Especially when one is on vacation in Florida. I only today realized that the date is December 20th, and if the Mayans end up being right, this could be my last day to post on my blog. So I figured I should let me family and friends know what I've been up to since we left the cold, snow-ridden North, for sunny Florida.

In a lot of ways, this vacation resembles the one we took in Nova Scotia back in September. Except this time we are in Florida. And it's warmer outside. And the shopping is pretty awesome. We caught a red-eye to Tampa Bay, Florida on Saturday night, even though Jim swore he would never do another red-eye after our last one to Nova Scotia. But money talks and the price of the flight was right.

As much as I love visiting my in-laws in Nova Scotia, it's pretty awesome that they now also have a place down in Florida where we can visit them. Jim's parent's having only moved in a month ago, we wasted no time getting our butts down here to share in the Florida way of life. Since we've arrived, a good portion of our days have been spent by the pool. Today we switched it up and went to the beach first and then to the pool afterwards.

It's hard to believe that less than a week ago this is what greeted me out my back door:


This has been my view for a few good hours everyday since arriving in Florida:



Jim's parents bought a house in a retirement community down here, and while sometimes it reminds me of the book/movie, In Her Shoes, it's really a fun, outgoing place. There's always something going on and everyone is so friendly. So far, since we've arrived, we've attended a race boat regala at the pool, played BINGO, played pool, and witnessed a parade of Christmas decorated golf carts, followed by cookies and tea in the main club room. We've also made numerous trips out to the nearby stores. Everything always seems more exciting and better when you're shopping in the states. For example, for most of my life, we've only had (as far as I've been aware) regular M&M's and peanut M&M's, with more recently mint and coconut. BUT HERE, I've seen, regular, dark chocolate, white chocolate, white chocolate peppermint, mint, coconut, almond, and peanut. It's insane and I get way too excited over these little things!

Photobucket
I'm going to eat all of you delicious M&M's.

So much like our trip to Nova Scotia, a good chunk of our mornings are spent reading. This is the first time I can remember flying and NOT reading a book. Not because I didn't want to, but because I was actually able to somewhat sleep on the plane. But as soon as we got here I started The Thorn Birds, by Colleen McCullough. This book was originally on my Fall TBR list, but I never got around to reading it. Partly because I didn't think I would like it, but mostly because it's almost 700 pages and 700 PAGES! But I am absolutely loving it. It's been a long time since I've read such a long, exciting drama of a novel. The book follows the Cleary family starting in 1915 when they are living in New Zealand, barely making ends meet on their sheep farm, to their voyage and life in Australia. I'm only half way done and fully immersed in the life if the Cleary's. My mother-in-law (who originally gave me the book) told me yesterday that the book was made into a television mini-series so now I cannot wait to also watch that. If I can find it of course.

Nokomis Beach, Florida

P.S. Technically it is now 12:12 in Florida and the world has not ended. Although a torrential down-pour, complete with thunder and lightening did just start. Which is kind of creepy, no? But anyway. Still alive. So I'll be back soon with more pictures...and more book talk. Right, I should probably talk a bit more about books.

17 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your ocean swimming and sunshine. Enjoy your trip and allllll the M&M's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already in a chocolate coma. I just have to figure out how to bring back allll the M&M's to Canada.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow it sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I am jealous! It's Friday morning here now and the world hasn't ended so I guess the Mayans were wrong *gasp* I am completely and utterly shocked!

    Love that you are getting in some great reading time and I want to see a xmas parade of golf carts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gasp*! How could they be wrong?!

      I tried taking pictures of the golf cart but they didn't turn out as nicely as they looked in person :( Maybe I'll post a few on FB - they were pretty cute!

      Delete
  3. Nice! How far south are you staying in Florida? Generally it's warmer in Atlanta throughout the winter, but today it's feeling like 22! Ugh. Not cool. Although I would love snow once in a while. Enjoy the sunshine and the m&ms! The dark chocolate are my favorite favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! I haven't tried the dark M&M's yet - I'm worried I will like them *too* much!

      We are in Nokomis which is about an hour south of the Tampa airport...we are pretty close to Sarasota. It's cooled off quite a bit today, but it's supposed to get back up to the high 70s, low 80s next week, which for us Canadians, is pretty warm! ;) Plus, they keep the pool here at 80 degrees which is really nice.

      Delete
  4. I have heard stories about the American M&Ms! I seem to recall another blogger posting a pic on Twitter of mint-chocolate M&Ms and I thought that sounded like the coolest M&M recreation of all time. Enjoy your time in the sunshine and reading all the books! I can't wait to hear your full thoughts on the Thorn Birds ... it's always such a feeling of accomplishment to finish such a monstrous book, hey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mint + chocolate is my FAVORITE combination ever. I have no self control when I come across mint chocolate anything lol.

      I avoided big books almost all year because I always think "but I could read so many books in the same amount of time as just this one". But, what I'm realizing is, if the big book is good, it's totally worth it. I love that I've been reading it faithfully for days and yet I'm still only half way through. Sometimes you just don't want a good book to end, ya know?

      Delete
    2. OMG -- seriously? That's just ANOTHER thing to add to our "what we have in common" list. I adore mint chocolate. Whenever we get boxes of Purdy's at work, I just snag the mint meltie, then I ignore the rest of the box.

      I totally know what you mean about big books. I should read more of them, but I think I usually fall into the "I could read so many more books in the same amount of time as this one" trap =P

      P.S. Are you spelling favourite like the Americans just because you're visiting =P Hee hee...

      Delete
    3. EEP! That was totally a miss on my part lol. But we can go with your theory! I usually always make an effort to type the Canadian "ou" in words :)

      My favorite mint chocolates are those pastel-colOUred (haha!) rose buds that you can buy in bulk at the grocery store. Loooooove those ones.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you're having an awesome time, Brie! That's quite a difference between here and Florida. :) Though, I'll try to shut my eyes in front of the fire and pretend I'm somewhere warm. I'll have to open my eyes eventually, but a girl can dream, right?

    And I LOVE grocery shopping in the states! There are so many neat things to try. :) I love all the coffee creamers ... I could try them ALL!

    Hope you continue to have a great trip! And that's awesome that you're loving your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I just spoke to my mom on the phone and she said it's unbearably cold back home :( Thank goodness we have another week here!

      Grocery shopping is the best down here! And it's not just all the candy and chocolate - their selection and flavors of healthy foods is amazing. I sometimes wish we were driving back so I could fill up our car! Haha!

      Delete
  6. Be glad you're down in Florida, it is FREEZING today! Looks like you're having a great time, don't hurry to get back, haha. The M&M's sound awesome.. never heard of those either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just spoke to my mom on the phone and that's what she said! Ack, I don't wanna come home!! LOL. Maybe I'll have the willpower to save some M&Ms for the party! :)

      Delete
  7. What a great trip! I especially like the idea of Christmas golf carts in parade form. And, as a fellow Canadian, allow me to exclaim on all of the GLORIOUS M&Ms you're having! Savor it, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a good thing I don't have year long access to all these amazing flavors of candy and chocolate as I have no self control and have eaten way too many in the past week!

      Delete
  8. Way to rub in the fact that I am at your place while you are having fun in the sun! Saigon is looking good, I've been running him around in the deep snow field by your house! call us again on Christmas!

    ReplyDelete